Golf is becoming an increasingly popular sport for boys and girls throughout the academic year. The sport is led in the school by Head of Golf, Kevin Searle, who holds a Level 1 Golf coaching qualification and has run the sport for five years.
The Senior New Hall Golf team plays its home fixtures at the Chelmsford Golf Club. The Junior golfers use Little Channels Golf Club during their Academy sessions. Lunchtime and inter-house golf is also played at Little Channels.
Fixtures and Competitions
Fixtures and tournaments take place during midweek games sessions for all age groups for those who have been selected to represent the school. We aim to ensure that each team or individual has a challenging fixture programme that will allow them to compete against some of the best teams in the country. National matchplay fixtures are played regularly against schools in the same county, which lead to National Finals held at some of the most prestigious golf courses in the UK.
The New Hall golf team enters several of the Independent Schools Golf Association (ISGA) National one-day tournaments at U19 level.
New Hall has also entered HMC Schools golf tournaments for the last two years.
Coaching and Tournaments
Coaching and tournaments take place at Chelmsford Golf Club, Regiments Way and Channels Golf Club. There are also opportunities for students to take part in local and national tournaments.
Both the Junior and Senior golf teams have toured several times over the last five years, entering the ISGA Scottish Opens in Edinburgh and receiving golf coaching at England's National Golf Centre at Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire.
In April 2016, the Golf Academy will go on tour to Portugal and play two Championship golf courses on the Vale de Lobo resort.
The Junior golf Academy sessions are run at Little Channels Golf club every Friday afternoon through year for years 1-6 in the prep school and years 7 – 10 in the senior school. For our top achieving pupils within the sport get to represent the school in the ISGA Junior golf tournaments .
The idea of the academy is to provide not only extra golf coaching training but also develop pupils for competition and to learn golf etiquette when competing in fixtures and tournaments. The pupils are coached by two PGA LEVEL 3 Golf professionals, Mr Matthew Mahoney and Jack Cole.
Please click here to find out about the new Preparatory School Golf Academy.
Please click here to find out about the Little Channels Golf Academy.
Current pupil, Holly Haslam, is the most decorated New Hall golfer in recent years, having been selected for the England U16 Regional team. Holly has also competed for the Ladies Essex team making the National finals.
- ISGA Junior Schools Cup (runners up)
- Essex Schools Championship (second in the girls division)
- Ranked 7th in the British Isles on ISGA Order of Merit
- Made it to the National Finals as Area Champions in both the Junior and Senior categories. Played at Royal St Georges Golf Course, they finished 9th overall, out of 140 schools
- HMC foursomes Area Finalists
- ISGA Junior Open Champions (played at Sunningdale Ladies Golf Course)
- ISGA Junior National finalists (joint runners up)
- Connor Worsdall came 5th overall in the ISGA Order of Merit out of 450 students
- New Hall made the ISGA National finals at Carnoustie Golf Club in Scotland as Area Champions, finishing 16th in the British Isles
- ISGA Schools Cup Gross Champions (played at The Shire Golf Club, Hertfordshire)
- ISGA Scottish Open U15 Gross Champions